Zip Technologies: Pros and Cons
Since the creation of the FDD 3.5 "1.44 MB high-density, a lot of time has passed and this type of media has not undergone any changes during this period, while…

Continue reading →

SDRAM PC100
Until recently, the development of new technologies for manufacturing memory components took place in parallel with the development of chipsets manufactured by Intel. But it so happened that in 1998…

Continue reading →

Internet integration
Now business is inconceivable without close integration with the Internet. As a rule, several employees of the office need Internet access, and there is only one communication line with the…

Continue reading →

After checking all the computers and installing, where necessary, the recommended boards, will the 2000 problem be resolved?

Of course not! Most of the problems will remain. The danger of the 2000 problem is that in recent years, very large databases have accumulated in any organization. In these databases, a huge share is occupied by dates. In most cases, dates are stored in two-digit year format. After the onset of 2000, there will be confusion both with the interpretation of the value of the year, and, most importantly, with the processing of these data. The situation is aggravated by the fact that there are a significant number of programs in operation, drawn up without taking into account the year 2000. In these programs, dates are stored and processed in an abbreviated format. Moreover, date information can be stored in either a date format, or in numeric or character format. The interpretation of the date and their processing in this case completely depend on the algorithm laid down by the developer. Most often, these programs will stop working correctly after 2000. Many programs keep their calendars. Moreover, not all of them correctly calculate leap years. Calendars in a two-digit year program are not able to correctly determine the day of the week after 2000. It is common practice to assign names for archive files, which include the archive date. Everywhere, the year is represented by two digits. This is a brief listing of only a very small fraction of the problems that need to be addressed in preparation for the year 2000.

The hardware-related solutions discussed in the article fix only one problem: getting the correct value for the current date. If it is not resolved, it is doubtful that any system will function correctly. However, having solved it, you must immediately begin to solve the problem of 2000, associated with software flaws.

Those who are not taking preparations for the year 2000 can be understood. Murphy’s laws state that 80% of problems are solved by themselves, and the remaining 20% ​​are not solvable at all. But in this situation, it’s better to stick around a bit. And you need to start immediately, with the solution of the “iron” problems. By installing AMI Year 2000 BIOS Enabler boards on outdated computers in a timely manner, you will get a significant time gain for solving other problems.

Removable cartridge technology
Unfortunately, despite repeated attempts by various manufacturers to launch a reliable device with removable media on the market, none of them have yet managed to deceive the laws of nature.…

...

Golden Disks and IDE
The problem of recording "golden" discs has already been covered on our website (as well as in the journal CHIP, No. 8, 1999). However, the problems continue. Only, if earlier…

...

The thickness of the magnetic layer of the disk
Removable magnetic media, manufactured by Iomega for Bernoulli drives, were extremely durable and reliable and cost quite a bit. The special 3-inch disks used in Zip are very similar to…

...

The Iron Problem of 2000
The 2000 issue is already becoming a hot topic. Moreover, a little more than 200 days remain before its onset. The point is that, for a number of reasons, in…

...